It's never too late to go back to school, my ode to Rio.

When I turned 30 years old, I was asked, "Zule, what have you accomplished so far? Are you content with yourself living as you have been for the further of ten more years?" I was unable to answer that question. By the time I was thirty, I had three young children, a loving Husband, and a beautiful home. The week after that, I enrolled in adult school to complete my High School Diploma. At the end of my courses, I received a letter in the mail stating that I had completed the course materials, and was set to graduate that summer. During one of the classes I was taking, there was a guest speaker. She was meant to inspire young high school drop outs to go to college. She was a speaker from Rio Hondo Community College. This lady changed my life. 

She told us that anyone can go to college, it is not meant for any specific age, and it was meant to help you figure out your skills, and prepare you for a meaningful career. She continued on, and told us that she as a mother of four young children, began taking college courses at the age of 31. She explained her struggles with time management, and also juggling the life of a full time Mother, having a part-time job, and at one point living in her car with her children. Her story sounded all too familiar with me, because my Mother was the same way living with us in the car for a couple of weeks because nobody would take us in. The speaker then handed us each a portfolio full of information about the school, and the different programs that were offered. She said, "The only one stopping you from achieving greatness is yourself. Trust me, If I did it, so can you. Take a chance, if it doesn't work out- well at least you tried it." 

That same day, when I got home, I enrolled for the next semester at Rio Hondo. I have been attending classes for three years straight, without breaks. During the second semester of classes, I was offered a job as a tutor. So far, I have been working at Rio for three years, and I cannot explain how thankful I am for this opportunity. At first, I was very anxious and doubting myself. As the time passed and with the help of my peers, I was able to remain a student success worker, and get rid of my social anxiety. I am proud of myself, I have helped many individuals complete their coursework, and graduate. This job has really brought out my strengths.  

I am scheduled to graduate this upcoming Spring semester in 2018, with not one degree, but with three. It wasn't an easy road for me, there were many sacrifices made, many sleepless nights, tears, and frustration. There are also good times spent with friends, co-workers, and family. The speaker that visited my classroom in 2014 made such a deep impact on my outlook of life that I find it remarkable today, that I have even come this far. I'm not going to lie and say it's easy, but it can be accomplished. 

I was never able to meet with the person that gave me the courage to come back to school, but I pray she is well, and I hope that she knows that she allowed me to see what I was capable of doing. Words cannot express how thankful I am. I continue to work on my classes, and I pray to have the strength to complete my degree. 

If I can do it, so can you. 

Comments

  1. Super inspirational Zulema! A lot of tutors in the LAC look up to you, you are super independent, chingona, and most of all wise!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Disneyland 2010

Troubled....